Perth to Oslo

Ready to leave Perth on the Qatar Airways A380. Plenty of space. 11 hour + flight

After months of planning, our holiday to the top of the world has commenced.

Bags loaded and checked in. Carry on for two of us was within limits, Barry doesn’t use scales…..  Is he going to be the naughty one for this trip?

A little bit of the Bibbulmun in Svalbard



With our farewells to Kerry, Jan, Janet and Larry – thanks for coming to see us off, we boarded the big A380 and settled in for the flight.

With plenty of legroom it was looking like it was going to be a good flight, and it was really – just very long. And when the seats in front came back on us, Barry’s leg were jammed. Through the night somewhere, one of the cabin crew invited all of us to sit in Row 1, with nothing but space in front. Barry slept in peace. I went back to our now empty row and stretched across for a nice sleep.

Doha came and went with a couple of hours on the ground and back into a 787 Dreamliner for the second leg. I’d bought a set of noise cancelling ear buds and am very happy with them. They cut out most of the background hum that adds to the tiring experience of long haul flights – but they don’t deal with crying babies so well. Might even make them clearer because the background noise is muffled. I like in ear buds and not the headphones so I can sleep on them without the bulk of the headphones.

Doha. Dusty and flat
Taken off from Doha – 37°C at 5:00am. In for another hot day in the desert.
Fresh as daisies after our flight from Perth. 2 hour wait then off to Oslo

The Dreamliner had as much legroom but not as much side room as the A380, but we all arrived in Oslo in good shape. Exiting the plane took a few minutes longer than expected then we were standing in the airbridge in the hot sun – it was 27°C outside and sunny. Slowly the queue moved along and nearly two hours later we cleared immigration. Jean had arrived on an Emirates flight half an hour ahead and it was reassuring for all of us to wave to each other – knowing we had met up. She’d flown from Queensland.

Another delay getting baggage with 10 carousels but none marked with our flight. Eventually line 6 was announced to be the one, and we found our bags had been loaded onto the floor, then reloaded onto the carousel given the time delay. As I had my laptop and camera lens in the checked bag to even out the carry on weight, I was rather pleased to find it was all intact. Carrying $25 rubber boots from Bunnings that weigh over 3kgs seems like a wasteful use of energy!

We found our way to the train station which was part of the airport and for some reason I bought five tickets instead of four. At around A$20 each, it was worth pleading stupidity and getting a refund. Given they couldn’t believe a single traveller would buy five tickets, they gave me a refund for four tickets, so I needed to buy another three tickets. If this is confusing, you should have been there. Fortunately my travelling companions are patient!

Onto the lovely train for the 23 minute journey into Oslo. Wi-fi on board. Crowded. There is a slightly faster and more expensive private train – this one by NSO the public system,was fine. Fast and quiet. One stop.

Once in central Oslo train station out came my mapping app and it came into it’s own. Guiding us through the city streets to our accommodation and taking around ten minutes walking. Rather like I had expected the little walk I planned for Kerry and I in Vancouver that ended up in us being delivered by a Police car. …..

No Police car seen or needed this trip. Arrived at door to set of apartments but hadn’t heard from the AirBnb host. Hmm. What next?

We needed to phone her – but didn’t want to use roaming on the phones. I’d set up Groundwire app and using my VOIP provider MyNetFone on wifi was going to be easy. Plenty of free wifi in Oslo they said. Just none where we were. So fortunately I had bought some roaming data for the iPad and soon enough a phone call had got through and the host turned up.

She’d been waiting for us at the train station, and had sent Jenny a text whilst were on the train. Jenny hadn’t got this message because she’d not turned on roaming on her phone and was still on airline mode. Nothing lost in the end and Lata showed us around her lovely apartment.

A shopping trip for supplies found Barry, Jean and Jenny at the pub. Other things were also bought. No take away alcohol is for sale in Norway on weekends.

Lovely salad for dinner, and climbing into bed was wonderful – 28 hours after leaving Perth!!!





3 thoughts on “Perth to Oslo”

  1. Ahhhh, your adventure starts, and it certainly sounds like an adventure. Day 1 here, and all is well. Take care of yourselves I’m sure it will be awesome and more. Look forward to the photo’s.

Comments are closed.