Rest days are good. The grind of packing up camp, travelling, and setting up needs to be broken up with rest days each few days.
Today’s rest day consisted of walking from one end of town to the other, around the boardwalk, past the charred but not destroyed town supermarket, and some other things.
The burned or is it burnt? supermarket is a major issue for a small town. No grog, no smokes, no fresh fruit or veges, nor the regular supermarket items. Full credit to the local community, and by this afternoon they’ve got themselves operating again from the hardware store next door. What we found out was that there was an electrical fire that grew to the extent that the galv iron roof was charred. No doubt smoke has damaged many goods, and the water from the local volunteer fire brigade.
I asked the Onslow Sun Chalet manager about finding a bolt to fix my trailer springs. It bothered me that if we headed back to the city with a problem, there was a long distance for things to go wrong. Also the slightly wrong wheel alignment would scrub the tyre and cause more drag and unnecessary use of the golden fuel.
Seems like the garage was the very wrong place to buy a bolt, and we were directed to a local contracting company maintenance yard. Yes, they could help, but what sized bolt? Fair question. So back to the chalet, dismantle the spring, remove the three bits of the broken bolt and take it back to them, after disconnecting the trailer of course, that was up on a jack.
Soon after we were back at the trailer trying to reinstall the now newer and stronger bolt, the original being plain standard strength, the new one being strong high tensile as it should have been in the first place. But installing a longer bolt meant lifting the trailer higher and our jack was at max height already with a few wooden blocks in place. Luckily a truckie was also staying here and he lent me his 20 tonne bottle jack. That should be enough I thought! And indeed it was, but only after some careful placement of blocks that may have appeared precarious to Kerry, so she only found out later… With some jiggling, levering and essential hammering, the new bolt slipped into place, the axle moved forward about 15mm into its correct position and the job was done.
Yes, the trailer IS covered in mud.
We also moved out of our two bedroom chalet to a smaller unit right on the beach front, nice!
Plan now is to make our way home down the bitumen and take a few days.